October 13, 2016

beautiful pumpkin clusters






Every October, beautiful vibrant pumpkins peer out from porches and doorsteps in the United States and other parts of the world. 

Closer to the end of the month, these huge orange fruits carved with ghoulish faces and lit by candles are a sure sign of the Halloween season. 



Carving pumpkins 
into Halloween jack-o’-lanterns 
is a way of life here in America, 
but this tradition originated 
hundreds of years ago in Ireland. 

Back then, however, Ireland had no pumpkins, 
so jack-o’-lanterns were made out of turnips or potatoes. 




The practice of decorating “jack-o’-lanterns” 
comes from an Irish folktale 
about a man named Stingy Jack.




Ancient Celtic cultures in Ireland carved turnips 
on All Hallow's Eve, and placed an ember in them, 
to keep evil spirits away.




When Irish immigrants first arrived in America, 
they discovered pumpkins and 
a new Halloween tradition was born!





P.S. Did you know pumpkins are rich in Vitamin A and potassium and are also high in fiber? And, they were once recommended as a cure for freckles!



ciao! fabiana


💕

While I’m here today, I wanted to share some of my "Tablescaping Essentials" with you. I have a whole page on the Amazon website with my favorite picks for setting a beautiful table.

Quite often time is of the essence, and I have last minute projects or events to work on, so I turn to Amazon for one or two day delivery. You’d be surprised at how many amazing items they have to offer! And I'm constantly updating this page with my new favorites. 



You can check it out here, at Tablescaping Essentials.




photo credit:  Southern Living, Town & Country,
Louis Rub Stylist, Pinterest




2 comments:

Unknown said...

You made me fall in love with pumpkins (the real thing) all over again. Thanks for the insight where the tradition started. The pumpkins that won my heart were the scalloped edge ones with the holes. Your blog is my first go-to, love it. Bobbie from Spokane WA

Claudia Fabiana said...

Thanks, Bobbie! THe scalloped ones are my favorite too!

sub



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

more recent posts...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...